Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Lenny Kravitz - Bank of America Pavilion - 8.25.12

I did not know what to expect last Saturday when Laura and I attended the FREE Lenny Kravitz concert at one of the best music venues I have ever visited: the Bank of America Pavilion in Boston. Last week while playing on Facebook I saw an announcement saying that the first 100 people to email a request in for tickets to the Microsoft sponsored event would be given 2 complimentary passes. Well I figured, what the heck? I'll give it a shot. A few minutes later I received a confirmation email saying I had won. Pretty cool, especially since I NEVER win anything like this!!

Since it was not a normal ticketed event, seating was first-come first-served. We arrived a little after 6 and the show was set to start at 6:30. We were able to grab seats on the left side of the stage in the first 10 rows. Off to a good start so far.
Now I do not profess to be the world's biggest LK fan. In fact I have never owned any of his music and before this night, had never seen him live. But I was game for this, especially since it was free and I was familiar with a handful of his songs. Anyone who has listened to popular music over the last 20 years or so has to know at least a few of his tunes. Seeing as it was a corporate gig to promote the opening of the Boston Microsoft store, I didn't know what to expect. He could have easily phoned it in and just picked up his paycheck. But what we got was a energetic 90-minute set which included hits such as Fly Away, American Woman, the Motown-inspired It Aint Over 'til It's Over, Believe, Where Are We Runnin'?, and the crowd-pleasing Are You Gonna Go My Way.
Things got really crazy during the closing number when Lenny decided to get in touch with his fans and do a victory lap of sorts through the crowd. His lap concluded right in front of us and gave us some up-close excitement.

Well, after all that I must say, this guy knows how to perform. I feel sort of bad I never have seen him because clearly he puts on a memorable and powerful show. I can't help but think that one walks away from his shows feeling like they got their money's worth. I feel a tad bit guilty our experience came at no costs to us because I would have shelled out some good cash to see that show. Our answer to Lenny's Are You Gonna Go My Way?...a resounding Yes!!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool recap and photos, Robert! What a cool experience.

    ReplyDelete