Thursday, March 8, 2012

Radiohead - Austin - 3.7.12

Now I can't claim to be the world's biggest Radiohead-head,...er fan, or whatever the die-hards call themselves. But I do know a good concert when I see one. After Monday's show in Dallas I knew the scene here in Austin would be a lot better. This would mark the bands first gig in ATX in 17 years. Ironically they last played here when they opened for R.E.M. at the old South Park Meadows on 9.17.95 - the day after my very first Pearl Jam concert at the exact same venue. Crazy.Now not to say that the Dallas show wasn't a good one - it was!! But I have had a hard time enjoying shows for major touring acts in Dallas for many years now. I put that blame squarely on the shoulders of the fans and their "I'm here to be seen" mentality. It is because of that I also don't care much for the so-called basketball fans in that city too, but that's another discussion. Case in point: while in line for a beer I overheard a couple of 40-something guys chatting about how they were only there because "corporate had a few tickets laying around and this was a good way to impress (and hopefully lay) Kathy from accounting". I mean really? That is how you want to spend a Monday night? Listening to a band that you have zero interest in just so you can get laid? That right there sums up most Dallas concert and sports attendees, especially at the AAC.I knew Austin would be different. First, being a college town means a younger crowd who is devoted to the bands they love and that they salivate at the chance to see one of their favorite bands play in their city. It is also the Live Music Capitol of the World and that means a lively and over the top enthusiastic crowd, which was spot on Wednesday night. Don't get me wrong, there were some loud roars from the crowd at the Dallas show, but it seemed more deafening inside the Drum Wednesday night. The true fans (concerts and sports) in Dallas seem to always get stuck in the rafters. I had the luxury of being in the lower bowl so I guess that's why I was subject to all the douchery on the main concourse. But here in Austin it seemed like every single fan in the building was amped up for the show. Nobody was walking around in $700 jeans and shirts with crystals on them (I'm looking at you Dallas guys) or girls dressed to go hang out in the lobby bar at the W. No, everyone here had an old RH t-shirt on or something else unassuming, because they were here for the music, not a fashion show. Look, I know I will take flak from Dallas-ites but hey if the shoe fits, I guess you'll find a more expensive model and buy it in every color.

No comments:

Post a Comment