Thursday, November 10, 2011

Penn State and Coach Paterno - My Memories and Thoughts

I can't help but observe the scandal that is unfolding in "Happy Valley" and feel sorrow. I have no ties to Penn State outside of the one opportunity I had to visit there almost three years to the day. I took away fond memories of a classy establishment that was steeped in pride not only for it's educational facility but it's football program, as well as it's community. I feel sorrow for the victims, their families, the program, the iconic leader, and the entire borough that is State College. I honestly don't know who is to blame for all of this. Obviously the offender, if guilty, should be locked up for a long, long time. I understand the president being removed - he is the head man on that campus and if something like this happens on his watch and he had knowledge, then bye-bye. Then comes Paterno. Part of me says, 'yes' he too should be gone, no questions asked. But there is also a part of me who spent time after my visit learning a lot about this man. An Italian-American from 1920's Brooklyn, NY, Paterno only really knew one thing his whole life, football.

From what I have learned and what little I know about 'old-school' sports guys, I can just envision what took place when these accusations were brought to his attention. I see him turning to his superiors, as he did, and saying "Take care of this". I'm not suggesting he ordered some sort of a cover-up or turned a blind eye to the matter. He probably thought "This is not something I am supposed to deal with. Let the higher-ups handle it". He has stated when it was first brought to his attention, the GA was 'vague' about what he saw. When his superiors never came back with anything on the matter, he assumed either the claims were baseless or where handled as needed. He's a football coach and that's what he continued to do.

Now as we all look back on his actions and how he handled it, we discover 'yes' he could have done more. He has even admitted it. But it seems as if his dismissal signifies some sort of a heinous crime itself. Maybe it was. Many journalists have said it in their columns from coast to coast, yet none of us have really heard many of the facts. As bad as I feel for the victims - and I do - I also feel bad for the 84 year-old Paterno. I just don't believe that he let his 'ego' get in the way of doing what was right. Not this man. But many of you are suggesting this. Well, you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree with it.

2 comments:

  1. Why else would someone not report sexual abuse of a child to the proper authorities other than ego and to protect his own image, agenda, and program? He was careless and apparently unaffected by heinous crimes taking place in his facility by his staff. Definitely not a "great" leader...definitely not a humanitarian as the sculpture suggests. Humanitarians care about all humans not just the ones involved in their football program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I guess I just feel he most likely turned it over to the higher-ups and assumed they'd handle it. He handles football. In hindsight we all know more can be done. But just as you told me to learn more about Walt so I could understand Disney, you too should read more into Paterno's story and then you may (or may not) understand where I am coming from. Yes, he needed to lose his job, but he should not be villified more than the actual offender, which is what has happened this week. Most don't even know the name of the accuser but all are calling Paterno out. There is a reason he is not being charged criminally. Like I said, these ar just my opinions.

    ReplyDelete