Friday, April 29, 2011

Tony Bennett - 4.27.11 - Moody Theatre - Austin, Texas

Well my new favorite concert venue in Austin drew me back this past Wednesday night to see the one and only Tony Bennett. So far the theatre has lured me in to see acts I most likely would have never seen if it wasn't for this quaint, intimate venue. First we saw a pop princess; now a sultry crooner. Talk about diverse... Feeling as if we were the youngest attendees in the crowd, Laura and I settled in for a relaxing show after a wonderful dinner in the new 2nd St. District area of downtown. (Laura already wants to move down there) I must say that I was very impressed with Mr. Bennett. At 84 years old, I find it hard to imagine him sounding any better than he did. I can't say I knew many of the songs performed but there were a few I recognized: The Way You Look Tonight, The Good Life, Smile (thanks Seinfeld), Cold, Cold Heart, and of course I Left My Heart In San Francisco. Along with his tight backing band, Mr. Bennett dazzled the packed house with his ageless vocals. He purred the softer notes and rocketed the bigger ones to the moon.

During breaks in between songs, Mr. Bennett shared interesting stories from along his illustrious career. From being discovered by Pearl Bailey in 1949 along with Rosemary Clooney, in a talent show to how Bob Hope gave him his stage name. He talked of how grateful Charlie Chaplin was for reviving one of his (Chaplin's) songs. For me personally, it was these moments that made the evening not only a show but a stroll down "Music History Memory Lane". There aren't too many artists out there performing who have the ability to do this. That made this evening special for me. It is not abnormal for a touring artist to compliment the city they are playing on any given night, but there was something very genuine and sincere about Mr. Bennett saying that the "sweet town" of Austin he played many decades ago, has become "the most beautiful, bright city in the country". I couldn't agree with him more...thanks Tony!!

No comments:

Post a Comment