Saturday, January 1, 2011

Florida Gators

Well, I decided to save this one for the last post of the day. Today we saw Urban Meyer's six year career at the University of Florida come to an end. When AD Jeremy Foley hired Urban Meyer on December 4, 2004, the goal was to return Florida football to SEC and national prominence. Mission accomplished. In his six seasons in Gainesville, Meyer guided the Gators to a pair of National Championships, two SEC championships, three SEC Eastern Division crowns and six straight January bowl games, including three BCS bowl games. He became the first coach in the history of the Football Subdivision to post consecutive 13-win seasons and he is the only coach to post three 13-win seasons in a four-year span. I took the picture above while I was in Jacksonville for the annual Florida/Georgia game. I happened to stay at the same hotel/resort as the Gators and caught the team arriving. Little did I know that a few months later I would meet my wife; a Florida alum. I now have, by default, become a Gator fan. We were in Gainesville the weekend of Tim Tebow's final game at The Swamp and I got to see first hand the madness that is Gameday in Gainesville. I can tell you with certainty that the brightest chapter ever in Florida football history, came to an end today. For all he has done over the last six years, I join in with all of the Gator Nation in saying a big, heartfelt Thank You, Coach Meyer!!!
Ben Hill Griffin Stadium

No comments:

Post a Comment